My house is abuzz with excitement as we make preparations t host a small Oscar Party. We’ve always watched the Oscars but we’ve yet to host a party. It’s so close to the Superbowl that we generally don’t feel the urge.
This year, however, we decided to go all in. We’re preparing a four course dinner, serving champagne and voting on who will win. Hubby has prepared a ballot and we’re trying to decide what the prize should be for the person who gets the most Oscar’s correct. Thoughts?
My youngest wants to dress up for the party too. We’ll see. Not sure I want to sit in my living room in an evening gown but it might be fun.
If you’re a romance writer then you’re likely a fan of romance movies, at least good romance movies. In honor of the Academy Awards and romance lovers everywhere, here’s a list of romantic movies that have won awards or been nominated:
- It Happened One Night – 1934 Frank Capra staring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert
- Gone With The Wind – 1939
- Casablanca – 1942
- My Fair Lady – 1964 – Love this movie!
- The Great Gatsby – Loved the book, loved the movie. Looking forward to the Baz Luhrmann version coming out later this year.
- Annie Hall – 1977 – My favorite Woody Allen movie of all time though Midnight in Paris is a great one and it’s up for an award this weekend.
Let’s skip to the more recent movies like:
- Shakespeare in Love – 1998 – I had no desire to see this movie, it looks sappy, and I enjoyed it immensely.
- Ghost – Again, not interested in seeing it and I cried my eyes out.
- A Room with a View – Loved this movie, I’ve seen it at least a dozen times.
- Titanic – Can’t forget Titanic – Didn’t want to like this movie but I did, (enough to see it twice)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – Beautiful!
- Moulin Rouge – Baz Luhrmann can do no wrong!
The list could go on and on, there are so many great romance movies that have won Oscars for something. What are your favorite Academy Award winning romance movies?
You can find a complete list of Academy Award winning romance movies here