Personally, it’s been a rough couple of months here but I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. One of the things that has gotten me through the tough days is my nightly pampering ritual.
I keep a pretty glass container full of Epsom salts mixed with fresh lavender oil.
Each night I sprinkle about a cup of the salts into a hot bath and I sit back and relax. Sometimes I watch indulgent television. Other nights I read magazines and listen to music.
I’ve even been known to edit manuscripts while taking my nightly bath. Sometimes I just close my eyes and enjoy the silence. Pampering plays a very important role in maintaining my sanity and composure (I have two teenage daughters. It’s necessary!)
How Do You Like to Pamper Yourself?
While a nightly bath may not be your idea of pampering, certainly there are indulgences you enjoy. Here are a few suggestions or ideas:
- Get a manicure or pedicure
- Get a facial
- Get a massage
- Enjoy a leisurely walk in the sunshine
- Take a nap
- Enjoy a sauna or jacuzzi (Check out your local rec center. My local rec center has a sauna that is rarely used. )
- Spend an afternoon reading for pleasure
- Take a class that interests you
- Buy new makeup, candles, or bath and body treatments and try them out.
- Enjoy a taste of your favorite food or dessert
Pampering yourself is a good way to get your life in balance. As a writer it’s easy to spend all of your free time focusing on your manuscript however, that often leads to an overall feeling of disenchantment with your story and dissatisfaction with your life. Not good!
Writing should be fun. Take time for yourself every once in a while. It makes a difference.